A Cappella Arrangement of Fat Bottomed Girls

The 30th April saw the Annual Showcase 2008 of the Leeds University Union A Cappella Singers. The show also featured Head Row, whose first mp3 is featured on this website.

The show was fantastic, and the night was enjoyed by all, especially those of us who had put so much work into it and glad to see it go well.

I was particularly proud, for a number of reasons: I was singing with both the A Cappella Singers and Head Row; it was me who directed the A Cappella singers, set the time and brought everyone off with a flourish; it was my dad who arranged the version of Both Sides Now that A Cappella sang, and he was there to see us do it; and I arranged the version of Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls that we sang!

When it came to arranging this song, I looked around on the internet of versions which had already been arranged on YouYube. I found some, but they all took the same attitude – for the instrumental parts of the original song, they imitated the instruments with their voices. What a novel idea!!… if it wasn’t thought of ages ago and incredibly effectively done by the Swingle Singers and practically every other A Cappella group on the planet. So, I wanted to do something which was more individual, that wasn’t just trying to replicate the exact sound of the original song with vocals only. So I started by transcribing the first part of the song exactly, the bit before any instruments come in. I then missed out the instrumental section altogether and replaced it with harmonised versions of the tune. At the chorus, I added a bass part that follows a bass guitar type of line. In the middle eight, I also avoid the twangy sound that would most accurately imitate the original version, but actually tried to make it a very open, quiet, serene sound, to create the greatest contrast to the chorus section.

I hope to do more arrangements like this, but at the moment, my time is fairly occupied doing university. I’m sure I’ll do some at some point though. Feel free to make suggestions as to songs!

I would like to thank Fikir (the president and mastermind behind the concert), Jimmy (the Head Row director) and everyone who sang for making is such a great night. I’m so proud of you all.

UPDATE 16/04/16: I’ve had various requests for copies of the sheet music for this, and now that I’m too busy to really respond to requests on this site, I’ve decided just to make it freely available here.  Note that this affords you my permission, but performance rights would need to be sought separately from the original copyright holder of the music (Queen).  Of course if you want to make a donation to me for the pleasure of using my arrangement, you can do so via PayPal to simeon@simeonjackson.co.uk.

PrintPrintFriendly

10 Comments

1. Jerry Johnson
    Posted 22 July, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I’d like to get the arrangement. Who do I contact and how?

2. Posted 25 July, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I’ve been away for the last week. I arranged it, so contact me (well done), since I’ve got your email address along with the comment, I’ll contact you direct, if that’s ok!

3. Bradley Becker
    Posted 29 May, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I would also love to get the arrangement, if possible.

4. Posted 4 August, 2013 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Dear Jackson!
    I´s a hot rocking arrangement. I´d like to get the arrangement. I´m from Austria.
    Regards Stefan

5. SCEBALT
    Posted 21 July, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

I’d like to get this arrangement… How can I make ?
    Best regards

6. Posted 4 March, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Dear Simeon, I just love your arrangement of Fat Bottomed Girls. Would it be possible to get it for our choir (www.regenbogenchor.org)? I really hope to hear from you.
    Best regards – Chris

7. Cody
    Posted 22 September, 2015 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Hello! I love this arrangement and I would love to consider using it for a group I will be directing. Could you contact me about purchasing it? Thank you so much!

8. Jessica Crawley
    Posted 11 October, 2015 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Hello,

I’d really love to use this arrangement for my student run choir. We’re students at the university of west London and are doing a queen/freddie mercury inspired concert given he spent time at our college. What are your usual arrangements for anyone wanting a cop? It would be for the 1 event with a group of about 20 singers. I’m a student myself who leads it so please could you give me your absolute best possible price?

Many many thanks!

9. Byron
    Posted 15 October, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Hi! I’m starting a male a capella group at the high school where I teach and this would be excellent to put in their repertoire! Is there any way I could get this arrangement? Thanks

10. Posted 16 April, 2016 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

UPDATE 16/04/16: I’ve had various requests for copies of the sheet music for this, and now that I’m too busy to really respond to requests on this site, I’ve decided just to make it freely available here. Note that this affords you my permission, but performance rights would need to be sought separately from the original copyright holder of the music (Queen). Of course if you want to make a donation to me for the pleasure of using my arrangement, you can do so via PayPal to simeon@simeonjackson.co.uk.